Wednesday, November 24, 2010

What else should I do on tune-up of 2002 Ford F-150?

I am quickly approaching 100K miles and am planning on changing plugs and wires, and ignition coil boot. I just changed the fuel filter today, and the air filter about 5,000 miles ago. I'm doing a little at a time since I'll get platinum plugs and wires and they are pricey to me.



My husband thinks we should also change all the belts and hoses. My father is a mechanic and I was raised in his shop, and I've never been taught to change those until they are worn out or you actually have a problem. You should know that my husband knows nothing about vehicles except how to change his oil. I've taught him several things about it over the past couple of years. His line of thinking is that he'd rather change them now so that there's less possibility of me breaking down later. I see that line of reasoning, but I just don't think it's necessary.



I need opinions other than my dad's. Please cite sources, preferably websites I can go to, so that I can be convinced or convince him.What else should I do on tune-up of 2002 Ford F-150?
To answer your questions, The 02 F-150 does not have plug wires,they have Coil On Plug, basically u need to remove the coil packs and inspect the boots if they look bad replace them ones from your local Ford Dealer, also when replacing the plugs use Ford (Motorcraft) spark plugs, The reason i recommend this is because i am a technican at a ford dealership and we see alot of driveability problems from Bosch and other brands of spark plugs,so buy ford only. As for the hoses and belts i recommend replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses and the serpentine belt only if it has numerous small cracks or the belt is frayed. As for any other things it sounds like replacing the fuel filter and air filter was a good idea..the one thing i would do is go to your local NAPA auto parts store and buy a can of SEA FOAM. and pour the entire contents into your fuel tank this will help keep your injectors clean and i promise you that u will see an increase in MPG. This is the only type of cleaner that i recommend putting into your gas..As for the rest of the vehicle i would also change the front and rear differential fluids it will take 75w140 synthetic,also check the tag on the rear differential cover it will say something like 3.L73 this is your gear ratio if it has the L u will need the positive traction additve if there is no L it is a non locking rear end and no additive is needed, if u have any futher questions feel free to email me...hope this helps..What else should I do on tune-up of 2002 Ford F-150?
change the hoses and belts.

they don't break down until your way out in the sticksWhat else should I do on tune-up of 2002 Ford F-150?
dont fix it till its broke........or drive it till it drops....its your choice !What else should I do on tune-up of 2002 Ford F-150?
Well it sounds like you've made up your mind about changing those belts so do it. Other wise look for cracks or burns and if there is none you could try tightening them. You may want to consider changing oil types as it is high mileage and perhaps give a radiator flush depending on your location.What else should I do on tune-up of 2002 Ford F-150?
if the belt is badly cracked, if its glazed and shiny or if it looks frayed at all then you should replace it. if any of the hoses are crunchy when squeezed, oil soaked or have any bulges in them then change those particular ones. you can easily check the condition of these things so i wouldn't replace them until they need it.What else should I do on tune-up of 2002 Ford F-150?
Fords recommended service interval PDF:



http://v8sho.com/SHO/1998%20ford%20servi



http://www.zjstech.net/~library/2290/200



Basically... Ford recommends belts done every 100,000miles and hoses inspected regularly...





My personal professional recommendation... Replace the belts if they look excessively cracked or worn... Keep the worn belts for a back-up set. The hoses... replace only when required
  • ireland
  • silk comforter
  •