Saturday, November 20, 2010

I have a 1997 plymouth grane voyager. How do I test to see if my ignition coil is bad?

If it is bad, how do I change it or is this something that should be done by a pro? I do have a little experience with things such as starters and plugs and axles and things.I have a 1997 plymouth grane voyager. How do I test to see if my ignition coil is bad?
Pull the coil wire and ground it (hold it close to a ground), have someone crank the engine and watch for a spark. If you see a spark, it is good. Should be held on by 2 bolts and 2 wires. and the coil wire. Just unbolt, and replace. Should not need a pro for this.I have a 1997 plymouth grane voyager. How do I test to see if my ignition coil is bad?
Pull the wire from the distributor that goes directly to the coil. Looks just like a spark plug wire, but goes to the big connector on the coil. With insulated pliers, hold that wire near the engine, and have someone turn the car to start. If you don't have a big blue spark to the engine block,, the coil is bad.



Unless you are experienced in ignition systems, tow it to your mechanic and have it fixed.I have a 1997 plymouth grane voyager. How do I test to see if my ignition coil is bad?
put a new one on they are cheap if it works good if it doesnot take it back and get your money and try something elseI have a 1997 plymouth grane voyager. How do I test to see if my ignition coil is bad?
You could use the low tech method. That is to take the coil lead off of the distributor and place the end of it close to some metal on the engine. Get a friend to turn the key. If you see spark your coil is probably good. If you don't it could mean a bad coil or a number of other problems(such as bad ignition module or some other less likely things)

The fun way is to get a %26quot;friend%26quot; to hold on to the coil wire while you turn the key. If they scream and jump and cuss... BINGO! good coil.

The best way to check it is with a multimeter and specs from a service manual to check resistance of the coil.I have a 1997 plymouth grane voyager. How do I test to see if my ignition coil is bad?
Dear Christine,



By 1997 you may have a %26quot;coil pack%26quot;. The coil pack uses the onboard computer to tell the coil pack when to fire the proper cylinder. These coil packs also means no distributor, good thing :)



So, a coil pack could be checked, you will need to get a repair book. Auto parts store will NOT allow returns on electrical parts.



Go to pic n pull and swap 'em see if it makes a difference.I have a 1997 plymouth grane voyager. How do I test to see if my ignition coil is bad?
A lot of the answers here are acceptable, they seem to all refer to the old style of coil. I don't recall completely, but I believe the V6's in your van (not sure on the year so I might be wrong) have coil packs, with direct ignition, as opposed to a single coil with distributor. in any event, no, you never need a proffesional for this job, unless you really have no clue at all, or, don't want to get dirty. If it is an old style cylindrical coil, there is usually a clamp holding it, remove the bolt for the clamp, remove the two wires, remove the coil to distributor wire, and install the new one in reverse. If it is coil packs (which I suspect it is, I know the newer vans are), Find them by tracing the ignition wires straight to them. They are usually held on the module by two small bolts, just remove the bolts, and the coil pack will pull right off the ignition module. The best way to test them is remove them, you may need to get small electrical connectors to test the primary winding. Use an Ohmeter or multi-meter to test. If it is a coil pack, test ignition from where you connect the ignition lead, to the other ignition lead for your secondary winding, and test from one side to the other on the primary (underneath the coil pack typically) Using the specs. is the best way, but typically you can expect one winding to be 20K Ohms or more, and the other winding will be much lower, closer to 1 ohm (resistance). What happens, is you will either get an open in a winding, or a dead short (typically) If the values are in a range, they are probably ok (but comparing them to specs. is always prefered). I hope this made sense to you, I know how to do it in my head, sometimes putting it all into words and trying to be complete can be a trick in itself.



*note* If you get those coils removed and bring them to the parts house, they will usually test them for you (If the people behind the counter know how) Or they will loan you a multi-meter (sometimes) Good luck
  • A deep purple duvet cover
  • can you still tan with sunburn
  •