Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Can a crank shaft sensor be changed by an oridnary person with ordinary tools on a 99 pontiac grand prix gt?

I have a 1999 pontiac grand prix gt which is misfiring thus vibrating and sputerring. I have changed the coils packs and spark plugs as the car uses the COP ignition system. The problem comes and goes which tells me its not the fuel pump or system. I want to change the lower crank shaft sensor which I have been told can definietly cause my issue. How easily is this to do on my specific car and how expensive is a new lower crank shaft sensor? Are any pontiac/gms specific tools needed?Can anyone provide any specific schematics which will tell me how to do this? If you do can you please provide a link rather than just putting goto autozone.com....Can a crank shaft sensor be changed by an oridnary person with ordinary tools on a 99 pontiac grand prix gt?
Crank and cam sensors don't generally give occasional problems.

They either work, or they don't.



Before you start yanking MORE parts, why not have the codes scanned?

It's free to do at a bunch of places. Mostly at auto parts stores.



The crank sensor is a pain in the *** to get to, but overall it's pretty simple.Can a crank shaft sensor be changed by an oridnary person with ordinary tools on a 99 pontiac grand prix gt?
The sensor itself is generally a cheap part but replacing it is another story. You probably don't need any specific tools for the job but you're definitely going to need a torque wrench.



But I doubt that's the actual problem. Distributor-less ignition means you may need to change the harnesses as well.Can a crank shaft sensor be changed by an oridnary person with ordinary tools on a 99 pontiac grand prix gt?
I assume you own a lift, so yes, if you have tools and knowledge you can replace it. I assume the check engine light is on with this code as well, if not, then it's something else. As far as cost, use some common sense if you own a telephone and call a parts place.