Saturday, November 20, 2010

Can the average person change the ignition coil on a 2005 VW Passat?

Out of the blue yestrday, I started to experience trouble with my 2005 VW Passat, took it to the dealer this morning and was told that it is my ignition coil that needed to be replaced and it would roughly cost $500 (or just a bit more to do so). I checked to see how much the part is %26amp; its about $25 - I would rather have my brother in-law change the coil or coils as he knows his way around an engine (on american cars) and avoid a HUGE labor bill from VW.



What are your thoughts?Can the average person change the ignition coil on a 2005 VW Passat?
One of the easiest jobs to do. Should not take more than a very pessimistic half hour.



I think you would be reasonably safe to allow your brother in-law to change the coil. Watch over his shoulder and see how easy it is. You could then probably do it yourself (if there is a next time).



Only thing to note is that the coil terminals are marked with a + and a - . Even though they look the same, just make sure the right wires go to the correct terminal (mark when disconnecting - you won't make a mistake then). It does make a difference.



Do not know why I am telling you this as your brother in-law probably knows it already.Can the average person change the ignition coil on a 2005 VW Passat?
Yes, they are easy to change, if you're uneasy then run to autozone or advance auto.. whatever you have near you and buy a haynes book, they serve as excellent guides to basic stuff.



Did you check the price at a parts store or the dealer? Dealers charge WAY more for OEM parts and parts stores sell lower quality parts. You get what you pay for. I'm sure OEM ign coil is about $100 or so but that is a guess.