Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ignition Coils?

I was going to replace the ignition coil(s) on my Saturn. How many ignition coil(s) are on a Saturn SC2? Is it pretty easy to change them out or is there something special you have to do? I bought 1 high performance Accel ignition coil, is this an easy swap? I ask these, because I've never changed ignition coil(s) before and I usually work on my car myself, so I don't want to pay to take it to a dealer unless I absolutely have to. Thanks. Any other misc. info. about ignition coils is accepted as well, such as where it's/they're located, how much voltage they run, etc.Ignition Coils?
Your Saturn has two ignition coil packs, each of which fires 2 cylinders (no distributor). You can not use your aftermarket ignition unit in the way you intend unless you plan to make this a 1-cylinder car. I would consult Accel on what ignition units are actually appropriate for your vehicle.Ignition Coils?
You can't do that. I mean you probably theoretically can, but in reality the fireing is done by the computer with the Saturn, each coil, old style coils like the one you bought are meant for a distributor based ignition system, the on (or close) plug coils are better and you would probably loose spark, basically, just take the coil back to where you bought it.