Saturday, November 20, 2010

Should I change the ignition coils in my 2002 Nissan Maxima?

I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima with 130,000 miles and recently the car has begun to sputter in low rpm situations until I pass 2,000 rpm. When I purchased the vehicle the person who had it before said they had not replaced them, she had the vehicle between 60,000 and 128,000 miles. This problem is only going to get worse and my gut says its the ignition coils, but is there something else that could be causing this? And if I need to replace them how much would it be to have it done?Should I change the ignition coils in my 2002 Nissan Maxima?
There are a host of other possibilities to your misfiring problems. You could have a vacuum leak, your fuel filter could be clogged, you could have dirty or leaking injectors, your plugs could be fouled, your spark plug wires could be in need of replacement, etc.,etc., etc.



To save money and aggravation you need proper diagnosis of the problem. Replacing ignition coils is NOT a routine maintenance item. While it possibly can cure your problem you should find out for sure if that's the cause. I mean, with that rationale you should probably go ahead and get a new engine.Should I change the ignition coils in my 2002 Nissan Maxima?
Coil replacement is not terribly expensive and at the same time I would recommend replacing the ignition spark plug wires and the Spark plugs themselves, but use only the factory specified spark plugs, I have seen far too many strange performance problems which resulted from the use of %26quot;Cross Referenced%26quot; plugs from a different manufacturer. The plug wires can be any quality aftermarket wires.



If the problem persists after the ignition services concentrate your efforts on the fuel injectors, throttle body and O2 sensors. Should I change the ignition coils in my 2002 Nissan Maxima?
If the problem you are having is from a misfire it could be a bad coil but you don't neet to replace them all. Just do the one causing a misfire. Nissan uses a coil for every cylinder on that vehicle and replacing every coil would be very costly and unnecessary. This problem could be a mass airflow problem as well. Vehicle should be checked for diagnostic trouble codes, you will have codes if the engine light or service engine light is on. The codes will lead you in the right direction. hope this helps.